Make a difference in the lives of hundreds of low-income uninsured Arlingtonians by joining a vibrant team of nonprofit professionals who strive for excellence in all areas of medical and administrative operations. As Events Manager, you will organize all aspects of the Clinic’s two flagship events – the Annual Benefit Gala (October) and Bites & Blues Dental Fundraiser (April) – and other smaller community outreach events throughout the year, as well as serve as an active member of a dynamic and committed development department.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has experience with and a passion for event planning. The Annual Benefit Gala in October is an important part of AFC’s annual fundraising plan, raising about 25% of the budget each year. You will need to live and breathe the Gala for part of the year – and this excites you! You may not have planned a gala for 700 guests before, but you do have experience with budgeting, working with vendors, volunteer-relations, event setup/execution and are very eager to learn and rise to the challenge.
- Likes to use both sides of their brain. One moment you may be carefully tracking the budget or pulling/analyzing reports from the database, and the next you may be discussing the merits of different themes and how to imaginatively incorporate them into the event. You can easily switch between more analytical and creative tasks and understand that both are important to the overall success of the event.
- Has a knack for problem solving and is calm under pressure. You see obstacles as opportunities. You are flexible and quickly find a way to make things work when something doesn’t go quite according to plan. You confidently make decisions by stepping back and seeing the big picture without losing track of the details.
- Likes working with people. You will manage several large volunteer committees, making sure that AFC accomplishes its objectives while also ensuring that volunteers have a positive experience and feel that they are an important part of the AFC community.
What you’ll do:
- Working with the gala committee, carefully plan/execute all details of the gala, ensuring that guests have a good time while sticking to the budget
- Manage and motivate the gala fundraising committee, tracking their progress and reporting regularly to the committee to ensure that they meet their fundraising goals
- Publish all gala marketing materials (including the website, Facebook page, invitation, program, signage, etc.) working with designers
- Working with the auction committee, solicit, organize and market 50+ auction items, raffles, etc.
- Build positive relationships with gala prospects and donors by leading tours of the Clinic, appropriately thanking donors, and accurately listing donors in all gala materials
- Manage our online registration/auction system by updating our micro-site, overseeing and checking data entry, and supervising check-in/bidding the night-of
- Review/negotiate contracts and manage relationships with vendors/hotel
- Build on the success of our new dental fundraiser, Bites & Blues, by strategically recruiting planning committee members, planning/executing all details of the event, and ensuring that budget/income goals are met
- Partner with third-party groups on smaller community outreach events to raise awareness of AFC in the community
A few reasons why you might hate it:
- You like to focus on one thing at a time. We’re a small, hard-working nonprofit and every team member wears many hats. If juggling isn’t something you do well, this might not be the match for you.
- Predictability and routine are what you value most. You’ll do something different every day depending on what event is coming up.
- Organization isn’t your thing. Being able to effectively manage your time is a must.
Why you’ll love it:
- You’ll make a difference. We may be a little biased, but Arlington Free Clinic is a fantastic organization that changes lives every day. In order to do that, we need plenty of funding – which is where you come in.
- You’ll be a valued part of a strong team.AFC understands the importance of events both as fundraisers and community builders and your co-workers will all be rooting for your success (and are willing to pitch in when needed too!)
- You’ll learn a ton. In addition to the opportunity to work on two large events with incredibly talented volunteers, you have the opportunity to make significant contributions in other areas (AFC website/printed communications, working with business Corporate Social Responsibility departments, etc.) You’ll gain great events experience and become a more well-rounded professional.
- Great benefits. AFC offers health insurance, 401k, vacation time and paid holidays.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 2 years professional experience
- Experience in fundraising/event planning strongly preferred
- Skilled in project management
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Capable of working independently, but also as a team player
- High-energy; likeable and personable
- A solid knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint (WordPress, Adobe, and database backgrounds a plus)
- Some weekend and evening hours required
- Reliable transportation to off-site meetings, site visits preferred
- Application submitted with a cover letter (we won’t consider resumes submitted without a cover letter)
Email email@example.com with a copy of your resume and cover letter to apply now. Please put Events Manager in the subject line.