Make a difference in the lives of hundreds of low-income uninsured Arlingtonians by joining a vibrant team of nonprofit professionals who strive for excellence in all areas of medical service and administrative operations.
We’re looking for someone who:
· Works accurately and efficiently. You quickly pick up new systems/software and can manage multiple projects at once. While you will always be supported, it is expected that you consistently deliver to a high standard, and that upon mastering your job, will need only minimal oversight.
· Is solution-oriented. You see obstacles as opportunities. You are naturally someone who takes initiative and aren’t afraid to speak up and present new ideas.
· Likes working with people. You genuinely like people and want to help make their lives better. You always go the extra mile for your colleagues (who will do the same for you), and especially for any volunteers or patients with whom you may interact.
What you’ll do all day:
· Database administration. AFC relies on the generosity of hundreds of individuals, businesses, and foundations. Handfuls of donations will pass across your desk every week, but processing these gifts cannot become a rote task done carelessly. For most of our donors, an annual donation is their only interaction with us. So we get one chance a year to make a good impression by treating every gift with the care it deserves.
· Communications and marketing. Our patients, volunteers, and partners all have great stories, and you will play an important part in sharing them with the broader community. You’ll enjoy the opportunity to switch gears from data entry and meet some of the people we serve, as well as those who give their resources, time, and expertise to our organization. Using print, visual, and social media, you’ll work to connect stakeholders to our mission through storytelling.
· Events support. Our largest fundraiser is the Annual Benefit Gala, a black-tie event attended by over 700 guests (will happen virtually in COVID-times). You’ll help the Events Manager with everything from tracking incoming gifts, sponsorships, and reservations, to night-of setup and support.
· Volunteer support. Over 500 amazing volunteers are involved in all aspects of AFC’s operations. Some of your time will be spent assisting the Volunteer Department with communications and record-keeping.
A few reasons why you might hate it:
· You like to focus on one thing at a time. We’re a small, hard-working nonprofit and every team member wears many hats. If juggling isn’t something you do well, this might not be the match for you.
· Detail-work and organization aren’t your things. Managing the small but critical details involved in the processing and acknowledgment of donations is the key function of this job. If are unable to work efficiently and accurately, then this is not the role for you.
· You aren’t open to feedback. This entry-level position is great match for a recent grad looking to gain broad-based experience in nonprofit development and volunteer relations work. We are excited for the energy and enthusiasm you will bring to our team, and hope that you will be just as eager to learn from us and grow in the job.
Why you’ll love it:
· You’ll make a difference. We may be a little biased, but Arlington Free Clinic is a fantastic organization that changes lives every day. In order to do that, we need plenty of funding and committed volunteers – which is where you come in.
· You’ll learn a lot. You’ll become a master at using our Raiser’s Edge database, a great skill to add to your repertoire as this product is considered the industry standard. Additionally, you’ll hone your marketing skills through regular work in our WordPress website and use of Adobe Photoshop and InDesign to help you tell compelling stories.
· Fantastic benefits. AFC offers health insurance, 401k, vacation time, and paid holidays.
· Bachelor’s degree
· Strong written and oral communication skills
· Solid computer skills (Adobe and prior database experience a plus)
Send Alicia Nieves (firstname.lastname@example.org) a copy of your resume and personalized cover letter (applications submitted without a personalized cover letter will not be considered). Please put “Development Assistant” in the subject line.