Make a difference in the lives of hundreds of low-income uninsured Arlingtonians by joining a vibrant team of nonprofit professionals who strive for excellence in all areas of medical and administrative operations. As the Development/Events Intern, the primary focus of your internship will be the 2021 Arlington Free Clinic Virtual Benefit Gala and Silent Auction, the organization’s largest fundraiser each year. You will support several aspects of planning for the Gala including communications, solicitations, and virtual event logistics. You will also support the general work of the Development team by assisting with data-entry, social media communications, and other projects. The position is unpaid but provides extensive opportunity for portfolio building and personal references. At the end of this internship, you will have gained a comprehensive understanding of fundraising and development, including key event skills such as timelines, planning processes, silent auction preparation, and community outreach – as well as a basic understanding of the Raiser’s Edge database, which you will be able to translate into future career opportunities.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has enthusiasm for event planning. The Annual Benefit Gala in October is an important part of AFC’s annual fundraising plan, raising about 25% of the budget each year. You may not have planned a big fundraiser before, but you are the “planner” in your group of friends, you like seeing the pieces of a project come together, and you are eager to learn.
- Likes to use both sides of their brain. One moment you may be carefully proofing a spreadsheet, and the next you may be asked for input on a graphic for the website.
- Likes working with people. You will work within a close-knit team and, on occasion, interact with board members and volunteers.
What you’ll do:
- Provide support to the Events Manager in coordinating/planning the Arlington Free Clinic Virtual Benefit Gala and Silent Auction, including sponsorship and auction solicitation, communications, venue/vendor-relations, social media, and online auction site set-up
- Assist with the Gala online auction, including obtaining donations, tracking donors, organizing packages, and communicating with committee members
- Assist Director of Development and Communications with administrative work
- Other tasks as designated by supervisor
A few reasons why you might hate it:
- Predictability and routine are what you value most. You’ll do something different every day, depending on the virus’ spread in the community, all or the majority of your work may need to be conducted virtually on what the biggest need is at the moment.
- Organization isn’t your thing. Being able to effectively manage your time is a must.
Why you’ll love it:
- You’ll make a difference. We may be a little biased, but Arlington Free Clinic is a fantastic organization that changes lives every day. In order to do that, we need plenty of funding – and you’ll be part of the process to make that happen.
- You’ll be a valued part of a strong team. AFC understands the importance of events both as fundraisers and community builders a fact that everyone at the Clinic understands. Everyone will be rooting for your success (and furthermore, are willing to pitch in when needed too!)
- You’ll learn a ton. In addition to the opportunity to work on a large gala with incredibly talented volunteers, you have the opportunity to make significant contributions in other areas (AFC website/printed communications). You’ll gain great events skills and a well-rounded non-profit development experience.
- Interest in fundraising/event planning preferred
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Capable of working independently, but also as a team player
- High-energy; likeable and personable
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ideally, the Development Intern will work remotely 8 hours per week with a flexible schedule.
- Starting date is flexible, but ideally the position will start late May and end early August
- Application submitted with a cover letter. In your cover letter, describe your interest in the position and how it would aide in your future goals.
Email Meaghan at email@example.com with a copy of your resume and cover letter to apply now. Please put Development Intern in the subject line.